This is the list of questions we’re asking everyone we can, if any can answer any of them, we’d really appreciate it. We meet with a donor gametes counsellor on next Saturday, so we’ll get some of them answered then, but infomation from those who’ve done it is always nice.
- Did you worry about screaming, “She’s not even your kid” or similar in the middle of some terrible argument? If so, does that worry ever go away?
- How did you tell your families, if at all? How receptive were they? What were some of their concerns?
- How do you deal with the, “Oh, she’s got his nose and her eyes” questions? What about with strangers? How close do you have to be to someone to tell them?
- Do your kid(s) know, does you plan on telling them? How? How’d he/she/they take it? Have they ever said, “You’re not my dad,” and how was that dealt with?
- Does the sadness at not getting to “carry his child” go away?
- Chris(my husband) wants to know: have they noticed anythings that are difficult to deal with? what would they say the downsides are?